Stats

Climbers

Climbing in Vic

alexads said Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:27:51 -0800

I am a novice climber who has top-roped up to 5.10c looking for a partner to climb and learn with. Looking to learn to lead sport and and get more into some mountaineering if possible.

hardgrit said Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:17:45 -0800

You and I may have similar intentions. I came in to the sport from ski mountaineering probably around 2002 or so and I have worked very hard at solo top roping, bouldering, and 4th class scrambling; but I've also been very inconsistent and as such my head for being up high above 5.7 is still in a place where I consider myself a novice (because this sport has burly standards.) I have enough avalanche knowledge and mountain sense to certainly make any mountaineering trip possible--if money exists at the time. For anyone else who may care: I have a mellow personality with the mindset of let's see if we can get something done today, but I don't care if I get shut down by weather or whatever. I am definitely safety minded and will not compromise that if the situation is for real. I like to be on good terms with everyone, and would definitely like a small network of partners, but my inclinations are towards either a guy who likes his space (save the personal talk for your girlfriend), or any girl at all is welcome to recieve my help in making things happen (and don't even think about worrying about being hit on because I don't care, I know myself way too well to conduct myself in a manner that would mess up a productive friendship.) Anyone by all means is totally welcome to respond, and heading up the island isn't out of the question either in the late spring. Thanks, Mike (mikesampson.bc@gmail.com) 250 386 6268 BTW I need a job and I'm one hell of a bombproof laborer.

Incerta21 said Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:45:33 -0700

Hey I am also interested in climbing on island, I'm just starting out however and am not sure what my level is, so far I have only done some small-scale free climbs and bouldering. If you can recommend any good local-ish climbs (I'm new to the south island/Duncan area) or have any tips at all for someone starting out, that would be awesome. peace

hardgrit said Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:58:37 -0700

Incerta, feel free to call me (Mike 250 686 8961) If you want to explore by yourself, I find Mt Wells to have the most variety in size and difficulty; therefore being the most accessible option to get something done. Cyberia near the landfill has quite a few options for bouldering but there is (to me) an edgy, dark feeling about the place. I also found the area behind comox lake campground to have a lot of enjoyable options. Haven't done any alpine on the island and Island Alpine Guides is ridiculously expensive IMO. For the gym which I now embrace, Ian in campbell river has a very cool gym with a welcoming attitude. I will also be checking out boulders gym in central saanich on a regular basis if anyone is psyched to come with. See ya out there. M>

mandala said Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:49:45 -0800

Hi Mike & inertia.or whoever's out there in pixel land. We live north of Nanaimo I try to get up Arrowsmith every week or two if you would like to join me that would be great there are some great routes. It would be nice to have a partner to climb some of the harder routes with. I was up yesterday with our kids ,beautiful hore frost and a light dusting of snow. Getting back in to climbing after a 6yr break ,life, kids. Also open to meeting up to climb anywhere on the island if time permits.

Cheers

hardgrit said Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:37:22 -0800

mandala, I'm totally interested, especially because Arrowsmith has been haunting me due to the fact that it has a cool Ben Nevis kind of look to it, and I view the mountain as a step up from my missions in the North Shore backcountry. So having a partner who knows the access and routefinding would be a gift. Please contact me via my email.

mikesampson.bc@gmail.com

Please Login

You must first login if you want to post a reply.

Debug

User

request.location.inspect => nil

current_location => #<CurrentLocation:0x0000000a120228 @lat=49.701703, @lng=-123.158772, @name="Squamish">