Stats

Climbers

Marble Canyon Climbing Area??

Remy said Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:47:58 -0700

I was just up in Strathcona and I notice there was a sign at a pull out pointing to a massive face on the west side of buttle lake that read Marble Canyone Climbing Area. It looked amazing, but I can't find ANY info on the area. Any info would be great! Thanks!

john said Mon, 19 Jul 2010 06:54:38 -0700

Really there is a sign? . I never noticed. Ya you wont find much info. I believe Phil Stone put a few routes up there 15 years ago.If you go be ready and bring the gear to do first ascents.

Remy said Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:53:52 -0700

I figured as much, but there must be someone out there with a bit of info? More so, how is the approach. I am assuming we'd have to take the Marble meadows trail and branch off somewhere? Is there camping close by? Will a standard trad rack suffice? Are the line that Phil put up bolted at all? Rap stations?

john said Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:14:27 -0700

Ya. Phil would know more but he is usually tight about some places. There is no trail and Phil did not use bolts. I've never been there so I don't know about nice camping spots. But you can camp where every you want so I'm not sure what you mean by "close by". And sorry I don't know about gear needed.

briggsag said Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:24:57 -0700

A couple of friends and I went to check out Marblerock canyon a couple of summers ago after some e-mail communication with Phil Stone. We camped on the gravel delta of Marblerock creek, on the west side of Buttle Lake. The forest is mostly pretty open and good going, but of course gets steeper and a bit bushier as you approach the base of the limestone cliffs. We got rained on, which makes a pretty good excuse for us not having actually climbed anything, but those are big walls. They looked difficult and committing, and my hat is off to Phil and his friends for doing anything there at all. My take on it is that you need to go prepared for a wilderness climbing adventure. Do not expect any bolts or anything. Cheers, Sandy

Please Login

You must first login if you want to post a reply.

Debug

User

request.location.inspect => nil

current_location => #<CurrentLocation:0x00000008eb9a08 @lat=49.701703, @lng=-123.158772, @name="Squamish">